How to Prepare for Nclex Exams?
This is a common doubt arising for any one who prepare for Nclex RN or PN Exams. NCLEX is all meant to assess whether or not the new entry level Nurses are competent to deliver Safe Nursing care to clients. Nclex is an easy Exam if you prepare with a plan.
There are lot of things to understand before you start Nclex preparations. Let us see them as following
1. Nclex Test Plan
Nclex Test Plan is the Blue print of your Exam. Client's Needs are divided in to 4 major categories. Question items of Nclex Exam are asked from these categories.
1. Safe and Effective Care Environment
- Management of Care
- Safety and Infection Control
2. Health Promotion and Maintenance
3. Psychosocial Integrity
4. Physiological Integrity
- Basic Care and Comfort
- Pharmacological and Parenteral Therapies
- Reduction of Risk Potential
- Physiological Adaptation
What are the Important Points to note in Test Plan?
1. Description of each Categories and Related contents
2. Distribution of Content (Percentage of Questions From Each Categories)
3. Computerized Adaptive Testing
4. Types of Questions or Items
5. Total Number of Items and Duration of Exam
6. Reviewing Answers
7. Passing and Failing
Having Strong idea about the Nclex Exam makes your preparation very easy. You can plan in exam point of view.
2. Time Plan
This always work "Plan Your Work and Work Your Plan"...............
Also "Time is Gold"...................
Planning your Time correctly drives you toward success.
You are the best friend and advisor of yourself. So, It is your responsibility to Plan your time for subjects. Firstly, Do a self analysis of activities for 24 hours of a day. Find distractions and eliminate it. Then finalize time available for preparation. Daily Reading on a scheduled time plan gives more benefits in exam preparation.
The benefits of Time Plan are
- Gives you a feeling of commitment
- Keeps you engaged and reduces distraction
- Increases your Reading ability when days progress
- Improves your confidence
- Regular Studies reduces your stress
- Helps to cover much content and etc
3. Active Involvement
"Where there is a will, there is a Way"
Once you Plan you Time, Be actively involved in your preparation schedule. Because passing Nclex is the last milestone in your Nursing Carrier to become RN or LPN.
The most common mistake that everyone do is giving less importance to the regular preparation. Active Involvement in your preparation only can give the success.
Usually, We study for a longer time to cover much contents. But it is very common to forget what we studied before. Here is one best trick that helps to improve your memory. Recalling what we studied every one hour for 10 minutes helps to improve our memory. Initially some people may find difficulty to recall. but if you make it as routine one, it will become easy. Also successful Recalling increases your confidence level to a maximum.
Periodical Revision of subjects is good to improve long term memory. Revising subjects weekly is helpful. When you cover much contents, it is very common to feel that you have prepared nothing. But when you do revision of subjects, you will not get that feel and improves confidence.
6. Rotation of Subjects
Nursing is an art and scientific study. It has many subjects in it. Rotational study of subjects helps to reduce the boredom and keeps you fresh and active. Always Start with harder subjects when you are fresh then easier subjects when you are bored. Rotation helps to prepare for a longer time.
7. Mock Tests
Definitely you need to have assessment of your preparation. You have number of free Online Mock Tests to practice. So do practice tests daily on subjects you have studied. Rationales given will help to assess your understanding about subjects. But be honest, please do not make "Lots" to answer, this makes no sense in your preparation. You don't need to worry about wrong answers in practice tests. you can correct but not in real exam.
Regular Mock Test Taking help to do a self assessment of your preparation level and areas to concentrate.
8. Stress Management
Stress results from being engaged in a long run activity. It is a normal one while studying for a long time. You don't need to worry about it. But need to handle it. The following are tips help to reduce stress and increase your freshness.
- Deep Breathing exercise daily and whenever you feel like stressed.
- Yoga reduces Serum Cortisol responsible for Stress, Blood Pressure.
- Do Physical Exercise. This reduces the Serum Cortisol levels there by Stress. Also Daily exercise increases physical fitness thus increases confidence.
- Listening to Soothing Music. Many have favorite songs which obviously reduces stress level.
- Spend Time with Family.
- Don't have futuristic thoughts. This increases unknown anxiety and stress. For e.g. While preparation itself, Many have this thought, "How would the Nclex Exam be?". This should be avoided. Always have this thought, "Let us cross the bridge when it comes" rather than thinking how height it is.
- Have a Sound Sleep for 8 Hours. This enhances mental relaxation, freshness.
Kindly Share this Post to your friends preparing for Nclex Exams.....................
Thanks & Regards